Flying with kids from Akron-Canton Airport is easy-breezy, including security check points. Here are answers to the top questions about taking kids through security.
For additional questions about traveling with children through the TSA Security Check Point, check www.tsa.gov or address questions on Twitter to @askTSA.
Be sure to declare any medically necessary liquids (breast milk, formula, medications, etc.) at the checkpoint, because they may require additional screening.
Formula and breast milk in quantities greater than 3.4 ounces are allowed in carry-on baggage and do not need to fit within a quart-sized bag. You do not need to travel with your child to bring breast milk.
Ice packs, freezer packs, frozen gel packs and other accessories required to cool formula, breast milk and juice are allowed in carry-on. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as described above.
Snacks for children like yogurt, pudding and fruit squeezes may be over 3.4 oz. Filtered, water fill-up stations are located just beyond security.
Screening children’s items
Strollers, umbrella-strollers, baby carriers, car and booster seats and backpacks must be screened by X-ray. All toys and blankets must also go through screening, but will be returned quickly.
Equipment that does not fit through the X-ray machine will undergo a visual/physical inspection by TSA officers.
Screening with child
Infants and small children may be carried through the metal detector. Should the alarm sound, additional screening is required.
Children able to walk through the metal detector without assistance may do so separately from their parent or guardian.
If the child is able to stand for 5 seconds they may be required to go through advanced imaging technology. Parents may not be screened by this technology when carrying an infant or child.
- Children 12 and under can leave their shoes, light jackets and headwear on during screening.
- Children will not be separated from their parent/guardian.
- Remove infants and children from their carriers and carry them in arms through the walk-through metal detector.
- You may wear your baby through the detector.
- Modified screening procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of a pat-down.
- If You’re TSA Pre✓™ Eligible, so are Your Children: If your child is 12 or younger, he or she can also use the TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening lane when traveling with you.